Home » Ask the Therapist » I Have the Desire for Something Horrible to Happen to Me

I Have the Desire for Something Horrible to Happen to Me

At 14 my life is easy but sometimes I have fantasies of either getting into an accident (or just getting injured to the point of being hospitalized ) or losing everything I have, including the people I love. I have no suicidal thoughts nor have I ever self-harmed, I’m not very confident in myself but I don’t hate myself .

The problem is I imagine these scenarios so often and in so much detail that I bring myself tears.
I’m worried that these thoughts could become something destructive.

Thank you, I hope you respond. (From England)

A.

It takes a great deal of courage to ask for help and I admire your resilience in dealing with these fantasies. There are many possible reasons why these thoughts are happening, and it would be a good idea for you to be talking about them with someone who can help. Let your parents know what is going on and that you are worried and want to speak to a therapist. Often just by talking about these things they get better.

You’ve taken a brave first step by writing us here. Now it is time to get someone you can talk to on a regular basis to help.