Home » Ask the Therapist » Mental Health Provider Dropped Me as a Patient

Mental Health Provider Dropped Me as a Patient

My mental health care provider dropped me as a patient. I called to get refills on my medication and was told that they could not refill my medication because I hadn’t been seen in some time. Therefore, I made an appointment for the following week and asked to have my medication refilled until the appointment. They told me that wasn’t possible. I went to the mental health office and asked to see if I could speak to my provider or manager. They refused to let me speak to anyone until my appointment. The manager finally took me in her office and explained they could not give me my refills. When she opened her office door to let me out, two security guards were standing there. They escorted me out of the facility and refused to let me go to the Emergency Room. They stood by my vehicle as I sobbed like a baby, and told me to vacate the premises or they would call the police. When I made it home, I received a phone call from the manager stating that they had canceled my upcoming appointment, and were dropping me as a patient. They sent me a certified letter as well. I asked why I was being dropped and they told me it was my behavior. I don’t understand how asking for refills on my medications accounts for “bad behavior” resulting in being dropped as a patient. I would like to know if there is anything I can do to hold this office accountable.

A.

I am so sorry that you have been treated in such a dismissive way and hope you have been able to find an alternative means for getting medication. Each facility, if it is an agency, hospital, or community organization, has a regulatory body governing their legal and ethical guidelines. There isn’t enough information in your email for me to know what type of facility it is, but once you find out you should be able to find out how they are regulated.

Each clinician (such as a physician or nurse practitioner) also has a regulatory body and you can find out from them what their advice is. The state typically has a consumers board that issues the licenses for the practitioners and they can be of help.

Finally, your insurance company may have some guidelines and suggestions as they are ultimately the ones that pay providers. Letting them know about your situation might be helpful because if they can keep track of those agencies and practitioners that have come into question.