Home » Parenting » Child Abuse Reporting

Child Abuse Reporting

So I’m a minor, 16yrs old, and I am thinking about going to a therapist for my depression and other stuff. One of my biggest concerns that has stopped me from making an appointment w a therapist is if I tell them about my past w an abusive parent but that parent is no longer abusive/I’m no longer in danger will they still have to file a report or will that stay confidential?

Child Abuse Reporting

A.

Unfortunately, this is not a question that is easy to answer. Mental health professionals must follow mandated reporting laws in their state. States vary in their laws and some contain time limits while others do not. Thus, the answer will depend on the state you live in.

Even without a clear answer, I would encourage you to consult a mental health professional. No mental health symptoms should go untreated. If you have problems that need addressed, then it would be advantageous to treat them sooner rather than later.

Most mental health problems are treatable. Alternatively, if left untreated, they can worsen and cause a great deal of distress in your life. It would be unwise to neglect your mental health. I hope you make the right choice. Please take care.

Child Abuse Reporting