Home » Ask the Therapist » Someone Else Is Thinking in My Mind

Someone Else Is Thinking in My Mind

From a teen in the U.K.: hard to explain but the other day I was thinking and it was only until after I had finished that I realised the person who was just thinking was not me. as they were thinking I stopped existing it was as if I had put my consciousness into a stranger and was thinking as them. the way they thought wasn’t how I think and they were thinking about people I do not know. I didn’t realise when they were thinking that it was not me I just thought I was that person and I was thinking but when I became my self again and started thinking In the voice and the words I think in i was very confused as to how i had just become another person and had not known i had existed. do you know what this might indicate? i have never heard of something like it and am very curious as to how it happened

Someone Else Is Thinking in My Mind

A.

Thank you for writing. I’m sure you were very, very curious and maybe a bit alarmed when this happened. Unfortunately, I can’t really help you without talking to you at length. The explanation could be as simple as that you have an active imagination. Or it could be as complicated as a symptom of Dissociative Identity Disorder (DID). Or something else.

If this was a one time event, I’d be inclined to just let it go. But if this has happened to you more than once and you are distressed by it, I think it would be wise to talk to a mental health counselor, if only for your own peace of mind.

A mental health counselor has the time and training to ask the kinds of questions that will help determine what may have happened.

Someone Else Is Thinking in My Mind