Home » Ask the Therapist » I Think I Am Pushing My Fiancee Away

I Think I Am Pushing My Fiancee Away

I’ve been in a relationship for 2 years and we are engaged. We just moved into a house together a year ago and are planning for a family.

Unfortunately, following a few stressful life events, I have lost interest in my partner almost wholly. I want to make one thing clear – I still love him and would do anything to make this work, but have this terrible fear it’s irreversible. When he comes on to me I am repulsed. I feel like I’m frozen, as if my body is unable to make any type of physical connection. I start to think about how gross human saliva is and how much I hate the thought of genitalia and sex. It probably doesn’t help that he isn’t much of a heavy lover to begin with.

I believe it could be because of my isolation tendencies. I am an introvert and very much about my own space. Additionally, I have some strong mental health issues I’ve been battling since my first memory of life. I’ve been labeled BPD, anxious and depressed. I have strong intimacy issues and other issues that seem to keep me from getting close to my partners. While this is the “healthiest” relationship I’ve been in, I am still finding myself sad, unimpressed, uninspired, averse to having sex, and the list goes on. Then I resent him for my unhappiness. I feel guilty because I know I’m not satisfying him either. While I’ve told him my issues, I don’t see a way out and don’t know how to work my way into a more healthier state of mind.

I want to feel the connection again but can’t seem to find it. I often wonder if all of this is simply because he isn’t the right guy for me, but I have a strong feeling that is my ego telling me lies so I can isolate and push away. I really do think it’s me.

I don’t only isolate from partners. I also isolate from friends, family, crowds, etc. I am not a people person even though people have always thought I am. I tend to want to be alone all the time.

I just want a healthy relationship and children. I want to be “normal’. Or at least just healthy.

I Think I Am Pushing My Fiancee Away

A.

You sound very clear that the core issue resides with you and that is where I’d begin the work. My encouragement is for you to enter individual therapy to talk about the core concerns you have with your own dynamics surrounding intimacy and isolation. This can be helpful whether you decide to stay in the relationship or move on.

I Think I Am Pushing My Fiancee Away