Home » Ask the Therapist » I’m Not Sure What I’m Feeling

I’m Not Sure What I’m Feeling

I know that I have a problem. When I’m alone I feel very alone and like I will never be anything and very depressed but then when I am with others I feel fine. Sometimes when I’m with others I can be really happy but then one thing is said and I feel like I don’t belong there and that nobody wants me there. I’m not sure what is wrong with me but why do I feel this way?

I’m Not Sure What I’m Feeling

A.

Thanks for your question. I can understand how difficult it can be to experience a wide range of emotions, yet I wouldn’t say that anything you are experiencing is far out of the norm. I believe you are just discovering your emotional life and are learning the ups and downs of it and the patterns. This is very normal, and I wouldn’t put a pathological label on it.

You may want to start keeping a journal as this is an excellent way to begin reflecting on your emotional understanding and self-regulation. Becoming aware of your patterns and process allows you to begin managing your feelings better.

I’m Not Sure What I’m Feeling