Home » Ask the Therapist » I Regret Leaving My Girlfriend

I Regret Leaving My Girlfriend

From the U.S.: The past few days have been the hardest. The mother of my son and I was together for about three years. I’ve never been the type to express how I feel in a sensitive way. I recently told her I didn’t wanna be with her and I felt it to be true up until she left and it’s been two weeks and she has already moved on and found a lover.

I didn’t realize how much I loved her until she was gone now she is gone forever and I don’t get a chance to prove how much I love her. All she tells me is “let it out”. I tried to refuse but she persisted until I cried my eyes out for her to come back to me after I realized what I had lost then she leaves and go straight to her lover. In other words how do I except that I won’t get the opportunity to show her how much I really do love her and move on?

I Regret Leaving My Girlfriend

A.

I’m sorry for your very genuine pain. I’m sure it hurts. I believe your regrets. But it looks to me like this has been a long time coming.

I don’t know what you mean when you say you don’t know how to express yourself sensitively. If it means that your girlfriend hasn’t felt loved and respected for some time, telling her you didn’t love her was the “last straw”.┬áit gave her the push she needed to end the relationship with you.

For your girlfriend to find someone else so quickly suggests to me that she left you long ago. Even if you can be convincing in showing her your love now, it probably won’t be returned at this point.

Do work with her to figure out how to continue being a father to your son. He needs your love to grow to be a loving man. You and his mother can still be loving parents for him even if you can’t love each other. The boy deserves it. Fathering well will help you develop the sensitivity you say you lack.

I Regret Leaving My Girlfriend