Home » Question about Transference & Termination from Therapist

Question about Transference & Termination from Therapist

I was in counseling with an online therapist that I really really liked and thought I was making progress with. We had an issue a couple of weeks ago and I let my anger get the best of me and she responded that I was feeling transference from mistakes of a former therapist and we have since parted ways, however I have been able to find a therapist that was able to work with me for a few weeks to work through the transference, and I would really like to be able to go back to the online therapist I had seen because I felt he understood and I felt extremely comfortable with him. Now that I understand the transference, and I understand why he terminated me, I would like to get back in touch with him and maybe try again with my new understanding of what was hindering our therapeutic relationship. Is it ok to contact him?

A.

You mentioned that your “anger got the best of [you]” but did not provide any details. It would have been helpful to know more about what happened between you and your therapist. That could have provided insight into why you parted ways.

You can try to contact him again. He may be willing to see you again. You can explain what you learned about transference with your new therapist and perhaps that will make a difference. If so, then you’re in luck. If not, then you may have to find another therapist or stay with the one you have. You’ll know as soon as you ask. Good luck with your efforts. Please take care.