Home » On the Weeks I Go for Therapy I Feel So Fine I’ve Nothing to Say, But on Weeks I Don’t I’m Overwhelmed

On the Weeks I Go for Therapy I Feel So Fine I’ve Nothing to Say, But on Weeks I Don’t I’m Overwhelmed

I see my school therapist every two weeks, and coincidentally it always happens that the week has gone well and I feel fine. I show up with nothing much to say, nothing much to ‘work towards’, because I genuinely think I’m already okay.

But I’m realizing the weeks without therapy then happen to be the ones when I completely fall apart. I’m so sad I cry for hours not knowing why, and I so want to go to the counselling center at those times because I’m so overwhelmed (with things I can’t even pinpoint) but I don’t know what counts as an emergency so I don’t. It gets to the point where I skip some classes in college because I can’t stop crying, or I just am so tired I don’t want to get out of bed. I have spent entire days just sleeping and it’s really all I want to do. It’s confusing though, because the next week I’m totally okay.

I wasn’t like this before college and I don’t want to spend the remainder of my student life this way, but I really don’t know how to feel better when I don’t know what is overwhelming me/causing me to be sad.

And… I don’t know what to say to the therapist. I think she also thinks I’m okay now (because I am during the weeks I see her), and I think the next session’s our 5th and last one of the semester. (From Singapore)

A.

It is not uncommon to have this kind of anticipatory effect when getting therapy. Knowing that there is someone who cares and is ready to listen to you can, in and of itself, be a tremendous boost to your well-being. I recommend keeping a diary of your thoughts and feelings as you move through the two-week period. This way you’ll have something to show the counselor. You’ll be able to track your thoughts and see the ebb and flow of your emotions.

I would also highly recommend a support group. Talk to the counselor about weekly groups that you might be able to attend that are a support for students. Even if it is a peer support group I think having something regular would be terrific.

Finally, I also recommend the forums. Reaching out through the Internet it’s a really good way to make connections, learn how other people cope, and get support.