Home » Disorders » Depression » Anxiety, Depression, OCD and PTSD

Anxiety, Depression, OCD and PTSD

Please help me. I am fairly strong and I have been in therapy during hard times in my life but my doctor retired years ago I am going through a crisis of grief, isolation, friends not being there and serious anxiety and depression and I cannot wrangle it and I don’t have any money to see a regular therapist. I feel so alone and I’ve not been able to wrangle it no matter how bad it is. I don’t know what to do anymore. I feel very alone I reach out to people but they don’t seem to realize that support is one of the main cornerstones in life.

Anxiety, Depression, OCD and PTSD

A.

I could not agree with you more, support is one of the cornerstones in coping and in life. I am going to make a bold and perhaps unusual suggestion, but I believe it may be the most direct way for you to get the help you need. Your resilience in continually searching is impressive and highly commendable, and I think it may be time to try an Al-Anon meeting in your area. This twelve-step program for family and friends of people struggling with alcohol has a network of support and nurturance that is instantly available, and in your area, there are many opportunities for a meeting. Check the Al-Anon website to find meetings close by.

Even if alcohol was not in your family and friend circles I suggest going to an open meeting to make some connections. An open meeting means just that — that anyone can go. I would go and see how you like it, and try a few as each one is different. If you have a person you have had to deal with that was a problem drinker this may be just the group. There are no fees associated with these programs. There are other twelve-step programs, but this one has a very wide acceptance and it has the power to get you connected to the most important resource we have —  Other people.

Anxiety, Depression, OCD and PTSD