Home » Ask the Therapist » My Thoughts Are Scary and I’d Rather Not Think Them

My Thoughts Are Scary and I’d Rather Not Think Them

I’m scared of my own thoughts. I’m a good person and I would typically never hurt anyone. but I get these scary thoughts. the kind of thoughts that make you crave to hear people scream. and it scares me so much. my mind thinks it would be fun to kill someone, just to see what it would feel like. of course I would never do so but I get the urge to sometimes. I am a person of good morals. I stop people from being mean to other in the halls of school and such, but when I’m alone I think really scary things. it’s like someone is telling me to do it. but the good side of me always says no, and whoever it is always listens. am i going insane? please help me. I cry sometimes because I get so scared of my thoughts…

A.

You are a brave an courageous person for talking about these thoughts.The fact that they are persistent means that you’ll want to figure out why you are having them and what you can do to deal with them.

I’d recommend you as your parents about seeing a therapist, or if there isn’t one in your immediate area to talk to your physician. He or she can help point you in the right direction.

The best part of what you are saying is the fact that you fight these thoughts and put them in their place. This is exactly what some of the treatment programs can help you do effectively and efficiently.