Home » Ask the Therapist » I Feel Like I Can’t Fully Feel My Emotions

I Feel Like I Can’t Fully Feel My Emotions

Some emotions I feel very heavily, the strongest probably being I’m very passionate about certain things and very empathetic towards almost everything.. But some I cannot seem to feel at all, such as anger. Things that would anger almost anyone truly do not bother me like other people. And I can only think of a handful of times in my life I was remotely angry. And the rest of my emotions, like sadness, happiness, love, excitement and so on, I cannot seem to understand if I actually feel them. When I feel sad, happy, or excited I always feel like I’m partially feeling it, but not completely. Kind of like sometimes I feel 40% happy or 60% sad, but I can’t seem to fully 100% feel anything. Due to this I keep questioning whether or not I feel anything at all or why I just can’t experience true, full emotions. Sorry if this was a bit hard to follow it’s hard to explain this in writing.

A.

I think you did a fine job of explaining—in fact, I am going to recommend that you keep writing in the form of a journal. Find a journal, digital or handwritten, that will help you keep a daily diary of your feelings. I’d recommend that you begin with some simple distinctions, such as highs or lows of the day with a brief description of the events that have caused them.

After a month or so analyze the journal in a reflective way and see if there is a pattern to your emotions. Do you find yourself having a better time with people or alone? Learning something new or trying something new? This reflective experience can give you some insight into not only what you are feeling, but what may be the causes.