Home » Social Media Addiction

Social Media Addiction

Hallo, I think I’m addicted to social media. I cannot stop using it. I check my messages at least 1 time per minute. It’s starting to take nearly control me. Sometimes i hear my a notification, but my phone isn’t even near me. I don’t know what i should do. Do you know how to overcome a social media addiction? Any tips? (From Denmark)

Social Media Addiction

A.

I applaud your courage in asking for help. This is the first step in making a change. Start with the basics. Begin with some simple rules. The best is to shut your smartphone off (or if you can’t bear to do that, put it on silent) every time you are eating. Stick to this one rule. When you eat don’t get on your phone, you don’t use social media. This is the new habit you want to cultivate. Even if you wolf down your lunch in ten minutes the conscious decision to only eat at that time will be helpful. Along with this set your smartphone to silence all your incoming notifications during the usual times you sleep. Uninterrupted eating and sleeping will go a long way in providing some relief.

For more information here is an article in the Washington Post.

Social Media Addiction