Home » My Boyfriend Has Episodes of Irrational Thinking

My Boyfriend Has Episodes of Irrational Thinking

From a teen in the U.S.: My boyfriend has been having these severe irrational thinking episodes where he wakes up one day and feels down and eventually, he will start thinking a whole different way than he normally does and he starts thinking very little of himself and he starts telling me to leave him or things like that because he knows I could do so much better and he starts asking why I stay with him, knowing these episodes will happen. I’m just wondering why it happens and what causes it and what it is.

A.

Your boyfriend is fortunate to have such a caring girlfriend. I do understand why you are concerned. It could be that he is dealing with some major teen self-esteem issues that are normal but painful. Or it could be that he is beginning to show signs of a depression.

The way for him, and you, to figure it out is for him to see a counselor for an evaluation. Knowing what is happening will give you both peace of mind. Regardless of the diagnosis, your boyfriend might benefit from having someone to talk to who has experience with supporting teens through what can be a very emotionally challenging time in life.

I wish you both well.