Home » I Have a Constant Fear of Losing My Loved Ones

I Have a Constant Fear of Losing My Loved Ones

I have a constant fear of losing my loved ones. For example, when my parents were in a flight I would constantly check the news to see if there was a flight crash. And I am constantly aware that whenever someone leaves the house that could be the last time I see them. When my mom doesn’t Answer her calls, my mind automatically goes to the thoughts that something happened, maybe a car crash or something and I start to panic.
Should I get help?

A.

If you are living in “constant fear” of losing your loved ones, then, yes, you should seek help. It’s not normal to be in a “constant” state of fear and panic. It’s also exhausting. An anxiety disorder may be present.

In the meantime, one way to prevent your anxiety from worsening is to avoid feeding your fears. For example, don’t “constantly check the news” when your parents are flying. Simply don’t do it. You’re doing it by choice thereby indulging your anxiety and reinforcing it, making it worse not better.

Instead, try to endure the anxiety. It will be difficult and temporarily unpleasant but those feelings will eventually dissipate.

Obviously, enduring anxiety is easier said than done. The solution is counseling. An in-person therapist will help you resolve this problem. Anxiety is very common and highly treatable. Consult a therapist who specializes in anxiety. They will know how to help you. Please take care.