Home » I’m Scared of Losing Myself

I’m Scared of Losing Myself

I’m 19 and I’m in a 1year 4months relationship and I think I’m starting to be obsessive over my boyfriend he’s so good to me—he knows how to boyfriend—we are sexually active reason am saying I’m becoming obsessive is that I feel like I can’t live without him like I’m in need of his love I do anything to please him I recently started to be insecure, jealous check his facebook Instagram and Twitter every day just to see what He’s up to in inbox him every day even though I have nothing to say to him I’m scared that I’m losing myself while loving him how do I stop? [From South Africa]

I’m Scared of Losing Myself

A.

You must challenge these thoughts as they begin inside of you. If the relationship is a good one—and it sounds like it is—then you are missing the joy of the relationship by worrying about losing it. I am suggesting two ways to deal with it. The first is to challenge the thought that you are losing him with facts. Instead of running to check his Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter accounts ask if he has done anything to mistreat you or suspicious. Start recalling the way he is there for you and his good nature toward you. Challenge your thinking that he is going to leave by using facts that show otherwise.

Secondly, share your insecurities with him. Talking about this can draw a couple even closer and keeps you from having to cope with the anxiety alone. When couples can share their vulnerabilities with each other it usually makes them stronger.

I’m Scared of Losing Myself