Home » Friend Seems Lost and Sees Thing, Also Talks to Self and Wants to Be Crazy

Friend Seems Lost and Sees Thing, Also Talks to Self and Wants to Be Crazy

My friend has always been a bit different from everyone else but lately, I have seen that he can occasionally talk to himself and also replies. He also has an extremely dark sense of humour and doesn’t really feel emotion (doesn’t feel the need for love and never feels bad for anyone). Although he has never hurt anyone he says he has an urge to which is kinda weird too…

He sometimes says how he wishes he was crazy so we wonder if it has something to do with that but we don’t know? He’s great at lying can make any story sound true! We all wonder if he is a psychopath as many things of what he does is related to that.

There was an incident where someone’s dog had had a stroke and they told us he just laughed straight to the owner’s face which was also extremely weird.

Any advice you could give me would be extremely helpful… thanks! (From England)

A.

Your friend’s symptoms are not something you would be able to deal with on your own. If, as you suspect, he is a psychopath, he would need some intensive help in the form of professional treatment. Many of the symptoms you mention point to this need.

As a friend, I would let him know you are there to help and that you care about his well being. If the friendship is solid, you may let him know that you would be willing to go with him to a psychiatrist or clinical psychologist. These professional people are good at offering tests and diagnosis that can be helpful in determining exactly what your friend needs.

A word of caution. You friend’s inability to have empathy, lack of concern of others, and desire to hurt someone may all also apply to you. Offer help, but also be mindful of your own wellbeing in the process.