Home » Ask the Therapist » I Feel like I’m Slowly Losing My Mind Because of Weed

I Feel like I’m Slowly Losing My Mind Because of Weed

From the UK: I’ve been smoking weed with my friends at least once a week for the past year. Recently though (past couple of months) I’ve been smoking almost everyday by myself. I know it’s out of hand and I’m trying to work on it. It doesn’t effect my life in an obvious sense – I still go to uni everyday and go work and do a good job and keep on top of my grades I even see my family once a week.

However something has changed and although I seem to be masking it extremely well I feel like I’m turning into a delusional mess. I keep questioning my reality and coming up with absurd ideas to do with the universe. It’s gotten so bad that I can’t sleep and then I question what sleep is to the point where it’s like I have lost the ability to fall asleep.. please help

A.

You already know what I’m going to say: “Trying to stop” isn’t stopping. Here’s the reality: Not everyone reacts to marijuana in the same way. You may be especially sensitive to it. You may be one of the people who develops a psychological addiction to it, even if your friends don’t. Because marijuana is largely unregulated, it’s possible that something toxic was added to what you’ve been smoking.

You may be able to function now but that is likely to deteriorate, especially if you aren’t sleeping regularly and well. It is possible the sleep disturbance is at least part of what is causing the delusional thinking.

So quit fooling around. STOP smoking. If you can’t do it on your own, then look for a support group or a therapist to help you. You already know that smoking is having a negative impact on your mental health. Love yourself enough to get whatever help you need to get weed out of your life.