Home » Ask the Therapist » Arguing with Mom

Arguing with Mom

I was on some wrong medicine for my diagnosis and I was struggling one night because my daughter would not stop whining and crying. My son heard me yelling and crying and called my mom. When she got there I was calmed down. She came in the bathroom where I was and told me she was tired of my drama and why didn’t i just kill myself. So being in the mental state I was in I ran into the bedroom and grabbed a pistol, that I thought was unloaded. was told it was unloaded. She and my son wrestled the gun from my hand and i locked myself in the bathroom. She called ems and I was involuntarily committed. I was let go the next day. She can’t understand why I’m mad at that and says I’m unforgiving.

Arguing with Mom

A.

Let’s start with some basics. A pistol being that available should be one of the first things you attend to. As you are going through the need for medication and the potential results, let’s err on the side of caution and get guns out of reach — in a locked cabinet if you still want them in the house.

Your mother’s reaction to your need tells us a lot about her. She cannot be the person you rely on in an emergency. Get a list of nearby people you can trust who can be there for you in a crisis and let your son (and others in the house) know who they are. List those numbers near all the phones and plug them into yours and your children’s cell phones.

I would highly recommend these precautions now and plan to meet with a family therapist. You can find a qualified person near you here. You will want to sort through what happened with this therapist. Your mom needs to be educated on how to help and not escalate a situation. She is the one that aggravated the situation to dramatic heights by inciting you while you were in your state.

Arguing with Mom