Home » Parenting » Mother May Be Abusive

Mother May Be Abusive

My mother always comments on my appearance or tries to quickly fix small things about how I look– like hair or clothing– even though I constantly ask her not to, and now I hate receiving compliments from her. She also constantly asks what I’m doing on my phone or laptop and accuses me of doing things I’m not supposed to if I say no. At one point, maybe a year or so ago, I accused her of putting spyware on my phone and she didn’t say no and, if asked, would describe small parts or features of it, albeit hesitantly. When I came out to her she said sexuality fluid and, brought up again later, said I “decided” to be this way and wouldn’t elaborate, and hasn’t brought it up again. I brought up her toxic behaviors to her and she got really angry at me and assigned me chores to do because of it. My brother, who is 18, constantly belittles and yells at me for minuscule things, like not doing a favor for him, and will call me a crybaby if I cry. My mom has stopped trying to stop or punish him and hasn’t for a long time now. I don’t like coming out of my room when either of them are home because it usually always ends up in an argument and I desperately want to get away, but I don’t want to stay with anyone else as I always feel awkward and out of place near other people like family or friends.

Mother May Be Abusive

A.

I am sorry your mother is so intrusive and not understanding — and your brother is belittling. I recommend you contact the woman’s center nearby and ask them for help. These services are geared for young woman your age and can help.

Mother May Be Abusive