Home » Constantly Overthinking that People May Tell Others about the Wrong Things I Say

Constantly Overthinking that People May Tell Others about the Wrong Things I Say

Hi, I have an issue where if I say the wrong thing in a conversation or what I said is incorrect, I would constantly overthink about what I said and get worried that the person may tell others about the wrong thing I said. I just can’t stand the thought of people having the wrong idea about me.

I understand that my thoughts are irrational, but I’m constantly overthinking about this.

What can I do to stop constantly thinking about this? It’s driving me mad. (From England)

A.

Overthinking is the right word. It sounds like a touch of obsession and the easiest way to manage this is to find a person who does cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) who can give you strategies for confronting these irrational thoughts.