Home » Disorders » Depression » Why Can’t I Recover from Depression?

Why Can’t I Recover from Depression?

From the U.S.: Hello. 1’m 17, 1’ve been diagnosed with MDD and PTSD. Despite that I have worked through these issues and lived my life. I’m going to skip details bc this would become way too long.

Look, I’m not fat, ugly, what has happened to me isn’t my fault, my trauma wasn’t either, I’m a better person than most people I’ve met in terms of helping and interacting. I know and have known since the beginning, but despite medications and therapy, whenever I try to work off the meds, it comes back slowly. Why am I still depressed? I’ve studied psychology. I know what my meds do, how they help, why they do. But why, no matter what, am I still depressed?

Why Can’t I Recover from Depression?

A.

I agree. It’s not your fault. It sounds like you are doing everything you can to keep depression at bay. Give yourself credit for being an active and effective member of your treatment team.

Some people are at risk for recurrent episodes of significant depression. As far as I can tell, the reasons for this are not yet entirely understood. For people at risk, medication is one of the tools (along with therapy and a healthy lifestyle) that helps to reduce the frequency and severity of episodes.

Please talk carefully with your prescriber about how to keep your medications at an effective level. Get good sleep. Eat right. Make sure you get regular exercise. Do things that give you joy. Some “tune up” sessions with your therapist now and then may also provide you with needed support as well as an important outside perspective on how you are doing.

Why Can’t I Recover from Depression?