Home » DD-NOS or DID?

DD-NOS or DID?

From the U.S.: I am trying to find information about my particular dissociation experience. My therapist hasn’t defined it for me, and I don’t know if she can. When I have a traumatic flashback or other stressful situations I can regress to where I think I am 6 or other ages, but always answer to my name, not other names. These experiences happen for hours at a time, sometimes even a day or more. I recall things that happened at the age I think I am. I have no memory of what happens during these times and my therapist is reluctant to share the information with me. Is there a name for this type of dissociation?

DD-NOS or DID?

A.

I’m very glad you wrote. I certainly understand why you are concerned about these episodes, especially since you don’t remember what occurs while they happen.

Without meeting you, I can’t answer your question definitively. Reaction to trauma and expression of dissociation is as individual as the person who experiences it. If we were working together, I would be more concerned about understanding your goals for treatment than with landing on a label.

I strongly urge you to talk with your therapist about your question. I do respect your worry and interest in defining your problem. But being troubled about a diagnosis may be getting in the way of your actual therapeutic work. Working it through with your therapist can only may help her understand you better and may enhance the effectiveness of your therapy.

DD-NOS or DID?