Home » Ask the Therapist » I Don’t Understand Emotions/Feelings

I Don’t Understand Emotions/Feelings

I have been having this “problem” for a while. Initially I didn´t think it was bad, I just thought it was part of my personality. However, I have seen, for a few years, that it is an obstacle. I don´t seem to understand feelings. I know, in theory, what they are, but when i have to interpret them or understand why they are happening, I get confused and frustrated.
I have emotions and feelings, that much I know. I usually see the world in a more logical manner, as much as possible, but i can’t run from feelings and when an emotional situation occurs (with me or others) i try to put it together but it’s too complex for me, which I think it’s odd because other people around me comprehend them so easily.
For example, I know how anger, happiness, etc, looks like, but in a real-life situation, I can’t understand them or why people express them with such ease.
Maybe it’s a skill that I should have learned when I was a kid? Should I tell someone? (from Portugal)

I Don’t Understand Emotions/Feelings

A.

I do believe it is the skills we learned over time. Understanding feelings and their use in various social situations is a teachable skill and one that can happen in group therapy. I encourage you to find a group with a competent group therapist. Most forms of group therapy will teach members to give feedback to one another about their thoughts, feelings, and behaviors. What may be most effective is finding a group for people your own age. This tends to help as many other teenagers may be struggling with similar issues, and working together to help one another can be a very empowering process.

I Don’t Understand Emotions/Feelings