Home » Disorders » Autism » Do I Have Aspergers?

Do I Have Aspergers?

My dad has been diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome, but I never really thought much of it. I’ve never had many friends. I’ve kept a journal for years, and in my earliest entries I blamed this on other people. I thought that they didn’t understand me. But lately I think I just don’t understand them. More and more I’ve noticed people getting frustrated because I don’t understand what they mean, or I ask them to explain. They ask me how could they possibly get more specific. I’ve been very bothered with it, and I’ve found that I have become very depressed. I’m not really sure how to get help, or if I even need it. I could really use some help just knowing why I am as I am.

Do I Have Aspergers?

A.

Unfortunately, this is a question that is difficult to answer over the internet. I don’t have enough information about the situations you have described to determine if you are correctly interpreting them.

It’s worrisome that you have become depressed. This is a sign that intervention is necessary. I would encourage you to ask your parents to take you to a therapist. The therapist can analyze these situations and determine if you are interpreting them correctly. They can also properly address your depression.

If you don’t feel comfortable speaking to your parents, then tell the school guidance counselor or even a trusted family member about these issues. The goal is to find a way to get help for your depression.

It’s very common for depression to be the result of faulty thinking. It’s possible that you are misinterpreting these events and drawing faulty conclusions which may be causing your depression. A therapist will be able to identify the problem, and most importantly, design a treatment plan to correct it. Thank you for your question. Please take care.

Do I Have Aspergers?