Home » My Step Dad Is Making Me Extremely Anxious and Intimidating Me

My Step Dad Is Making Me Extremely Anxious and Intimidating Me

He seems to be breaking me down mentally. My step dad hates me and tries to make me uncomfortable when I’m in the same room as him, he will make lots of gestures that are not natural and very deliberate and do it in the corner of my eye and I can’t help not be conscious of it and it annoys me as I won’t look at him and he will do slow/fast gestures in patterns and then suddenly do something different as I don’t know what to expect. This makes me feel uneasy and I know he intentionally does it and knows what he is doing and also make lots of noises like clicking his fingers, yawning, playing loud music on his phone and then stopping and suddenly starting it again. How is achieving this effect and intimidating me? (From England)

A.

Your step dad doesn’t sound very mature or emotionally sound. When he does these things, I would confront him. Ask him what he is doing, and does he know that they are distracting and disturbing. Let him know it is uncomfortable for you to see him do this and you wonder why he does this. Typically this sort of direct confrontation changes the behavior. If it does — or if a dialogue evolves that is great. If he continues with the bizarre behavior leave the room. Don’t give his antics any power over you.