Home » Ask the Therapist » Being Very Ugly

Being Very Ugly

How could I be happy when I‘m so ugly, what’s the point of life being so ugly, being forever alone, being discriminated everywhere because of the way I look.I s no way to find a partner you like, is like being doomed to be alone forever or with someone I don’t like, there is no hope to be loved by the one you love because it’s everything about looks, personality comes into play only if someone likes the way you look. So what’s the point of life if you are so ugly. Please don’t lie to me about inside beauty, and beauty is in the eye of beholder because this is not right, if you are very ugly, you are ugly for everyone. (From Romania)

Being Very Ugly

A.

I admire the courage to ask this question. Take a look around you. Look at the movies, TV shows, politicians, musicians, and business people. The range of looks is considerable, and the work is about how you feel about yourself, what you have to offer the world, and focusing on your strengths. It was victor Hugo who offered, “What would be ugly in a garden constitutes beauty in a mountain.” Find the value you have inside — then find the right places to let it shine.

There are people whose outward appearance may seem perfect, yet they are plagued by insecurities, low self-esteem, and despair. If their beauty were everything these things wouldn’t be. Antoine de Saint-Exupery may have said it the best: “It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.”

Being Very Ugly