Home » Ask the Therapist » Why Do I Have a Weird Feeling When Thinking Back on Old Times?

Why Do I Have a Weird Feeling When Thinking Back on Old Times?

From a teen in the U.S.: i don’t know what this is or if there is a technical term from it. i suffer from ptsd, anxiety, depression and ocd. so basically i have been pregnant twice, once with a miscarriage and once with my son who is now almost 3 months. basically both times in early pregnancy, i have this weird sensation. idk how to describe it. i get this feeling in my head and feel sick, gross, nervous etc. both the beginning of my pregnancies were rough with sickness. anytime i think back to then i feel the weird feeling i had then. i don’t even know if i’m making sense. i felt this feeling throughout my pregnancy and then when i had my son it stopped. but when i think of it i get nervous and get the feeling if they makes any sense. lately i’ve been feeling sick, tired, headaches, nausea. and the feeling the i got in the beggining of my other pregnancies. but, i don’t think i’m pregnant but i’m scared i am because of the feeling and it’s giving me major anxiety.

basically this started on the 4th of july. i’ve been on my birth control for 1 1/2 months now. we also used condoms and checked every time after they weren’t broke. i also had a period or what i think was my period a week and a half ago. it was light, ive always had lighter periods but not this light. i took a pregnancy test the 4th when i first felt sick and started getting the feeling and anxiety of being pregnant and it was negative. i don’t think i’m pregnant but the weird feeling i have makes me think what if. i don’t know if the symptoms of being sick are making me feel like i did in the beginning of pregnancy and reminding me of the time and giving me the weird feeling. also, i had depression throughout my whole pregnancy and right after i had my son it disappeared. i started birth control and it was good at first but i’ve been emotional, crying, high anxiety and feeling kind of depressed. they are switching birth controls, but could it be post pardum too? but the main question is there a technical term for getting the weird almost sick anxiety feeling when i think of old periods of time?? i go to my regular medicine doctor monday so i will ask her. thanks

A.

I’m glad you are talking to your doctor. It could be that the hormonal shifts of pregnancy account for the “weird” feelings. Do discuss that possibility with your provider. To give you peace of mind, do consider getting a pregnancy test.

Since you suffer from depression generally, it would also be a good idea to talk to your doctor about the possibility of postpartum depression. Postpartum depression can show up any time during the first year after giving birth.

I hope you are seeing a therapist. The list of diagnoses you provided is of concern. You need and deserve treatment, both for your own sake and for the sake of your partner and child.