Home » Why Do I Imagine Myself as Another Person?

Why Do I Imagine Myself as Another Person?

From a teen in the Phillippines: This started 5 years ago. I was so disapointed on this celebrity childhood idol of mine for changing her image. And then I was always thinking of the past years where she is such a good girl and be upset. I don’t know if its depression but sometimes I’ll just stare on a wall and think of the past years and blame myself for missing them then when I saw her on the news for doing such things i was always ” what happened to her?”;

So I started Imagining that i was her. That if I live in her body I wouldn’t do things she was doing. It started when I was home alone it just SNAPPED. I talked to this people that she’s friends with. And keep imagining I WAS HER. Even when i was in the mall, in school or everywhere I keep on imagining it. Up until now and it really bothers me. I dont know what to do anymore because I tried to stop it but I just cant!!! I dont even like her anymore but I just keep on doing this things. Please help me

A.

Something about your idol’s change in behavior and personality really, really confused and distressed you when you were young. By imagining that you are her and talking to her friends, you are deeply involved in trying to solve that puzzle. You have quite literally tried to “walk in her shoes”. Unfortunately, what started out as an attempt to understand has become a preoccupation.

You’re correct. This isn’t helpful to your growth and development as an individual. Even if you somehow did come to understand your celebrity idol’s issues, doing so isn’t going to help you be all you can be.

If you could stop the preoccupation, you would have done so by now. I strongly suggest that you make an appointment with a mental health counselor for some therapy. A counselor can help you reclaim you “self” and will help you learn from the experience. Take your letter and this response with you to the first therapy appointment to help the two of you get started.