Home » Anxiety and Food Aversions

Anxiety and Food Aversions

So, I have been diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder for years. Recently though my health got back specifically with GI issues which are a huge anxiety trigger. GI symptoms have brought on full on panic attacks. Since my gallbladder was out back in March I have nothing but issues with food. I have lost a lot weight from 120pounds to 112 and from 112 to 93 pounds over the course of 6 months. I take anti-anxiety medication. I do guided meditation and other techniques to calm myself. But I don’t want to be like this forever. I am not even sure what this is? If you could put a name to what’s going what would it be. Trying to figure the best course for the mental health side of things.

Anxiety and Food Aversions

A.

It would be hard to make an accurate diagnosis without a full understanding of what is happening. It does sound like there are several things happening at once, including medical and psychological.

The GAD is the thing I feel most able to comment on because that is a clear condition that you already have. Guided meditation is great start, and I would add several things to that process. First, take a look at the interventions at Berkley’s Greater Good. They have several other techniques that can not only help you manage your anxiety, but also begin to improve your well-being. This is essential. You are not just trying to reduce the negative symptoms, you are trying to increase specific techniques to increase well-being.

Secondly, I’d take the character strength survey to learn what you are good at so you can begin to more toward higher well-being in your life — not just cope with the symptoms. When you say you don’t want to be like this forever you’ll not only want to reduce your negative symptoms, you’ll want to increase the positive.

Anxiety and Food Aversions