Home » Personality » Split Personality

Split Personality

My friend says he has a split personality and the alter is a woman and everytime he gets involved with a woman the personality starts pushing its way out. Basically the alter is telling him he was meant to be a woman and he should dress as such and he has attempted several times to have a sex change but has back out. Is this normal with split personality. Do the real person now when the alter wants out?

Split Personality

A.

Technically, there is no disorder named “split personality.” Perhaps you are referring to multiple personality disorder or, as it’s currently known, dissociative identity disorder (DID). There’s nothing normal about having multiple identities. It’s usually a sign of unresolved trauma.

Your friend seems to be struggling with his identity. That may be the root of his problem. Without having interviewed him and having a deeper understanding of what might be wrong, it’s impossible for me to answer your question.

Deciding whether or not to have gender reassignment surgery is a major life decision. Complicating an already complex situation may be the presence of a mental health disorder. Your friend’s problems are best handled by a mental health professional. I would recommend a therapist who specializes in treating DID and/or gender identity issues. They will assist him in making the best decision. Good luck.

Split Personality