Home » I Have Never Been Diagnosed But I Believe I Am Suffering from Borderline Personality Disorder & General Anxiety Disorder

I Have Never Been Diagnosed But I Believe I Am Suffering from Borderline Personality Disorder & General Anxiety Disorder

I suspect these issues have directly been impacting my quality of life and personal relationships for some time now. I need a diagnosis, I need help, but I am afraid to seek help.

A.

There’s nothing to be afraid of with regard to mental health treatment. Treatment is meant to help you, not hurt you. Therapists specialize in helping people who have the types of problems you have described. It’s their desire to help people. That is why they decided to enter this field. They make every effort to help their clients feel safe and comfortable. Therapists know how to help you.

If you had a broken leg, I highly doubt that you would be frightened of going to the doctor. You would probably go without hesitation. You should take that same approach to counseling.

The easiest way to find a good therapist is to ask for a referral. You can do this by asking your primary care physician, your insurance company or even a good friend or a family member. Once you meet with the counselor, they will ask you questions about yourself, your life history, and so forth. When they have more information about you, they will then design a treatment plan specifically to meet your needs. They will continually assess whether or not the treatment plan is working and change it if necessary.

Once you try it, your fears will likely dissipate. The best way to extinguish fears are to face them. Give it a try and see for yourself. Please take care.