Home » Ask the Therapist » I Think I Have SPD

I Think I Have SPD

Asked by on with 1 answer:

I seem to link with a majority of the symptoms. I am afraid because my girlfriend is coming over and she pointed it out that I’m pretty much like a sociopath and I should consult a professional over it. Is this true? I don’t have much emotion over anything and don’t care for rules or laws, my behaviour can switch from calm to aggressive in a split second and I’m not sure why. If I can stay away from people I will quite happily and avoid any sort of conversation. Not to mention I lie a lot and have used people before.

I Think I Have SPD

Answered by on -


I’m not sure what you mean by “SPD.” Maybe you meant sociopathic personality disorder but there is no such named disorder. You might be thinking of antisocial personality disorder (APD). If I am wrong, perhaps you can write back to clarify what you mean by “SPD.”

Generally speaking, if you know you have a problem, you should try to correct it. In your case, if you don’t correct it, you risk incarceration. Most people do not wish to lose their freedom.

If you have a desire to change, then seek counseling. You have the right not to seek treatment but you may face negative consequences for not doing so.

You mentioned not wanting to engage in a treatment that requires talking. I’m not aware of any counseling that doesn’t require talking. Conversation is a requirement.

Perhaps an alternative to counseling is medication. Consult a physician to determine if medication would be beneficial. Another treatment to consider would be anger management, though it would require you to converse. There are many great anger management programs that could assist you in changing your behavior.

Here is something you might want to consider. If you were arrested, a stipulation of your sentence might include court-ordered counseling. Wouldn’t it be better to undergo counseling now, with the therapist of your choice, rather than when you’re forced to do so by the court? Thank you for your question. Good luck and please take care.

Dr. Kristina Randle

I Think I Have SPD

Therapists live, online right now, from BetterHelp:

Kristina Randle, Ph.D., LCSW

Kristina Randle, Ph.D., LCSW is a licensed psychotherapist and Assistant Professor of Social Work and Forensics with extensive experience in the field of mental health. She works in private practice with adults, adolescents and families. Kristina has worked in a large array of settings including community mental health, college counseling and university research centers.

APA Reference
Randle, K. (2018). I Think I Have SPD. Psych Central. Retrieved on November 27, 2020, from
Scientifically Reviewed
Last updated: 26 Jul 2018 (Originally: 28 Jul 2018)
Last reviewed: By a member of our scientific advisory board on 26 Jul 2018
Published on Psych All rights reserved.