Home » Ask the Therapist » What Kind of Help Is Best for Me?

What Kind of Help Is Best for Me?

Asked by on with 1 answer:

From the U.S.: I believe I am bi-polar. I don’t believe in talk therapy, but something is wrong with my head. I don’t know how else to describe this. I am an educator and have serious issues with the fact that I can not control my own brain. Can you tell me how a psychologist or psychiatrist could actually help me without just explaining their job? What kind of help could they give me besides medicine- which I have?

It is difficult for me to trust people and I don’t want to tell some long story about my life so someone can blame my issues on my parents. Please help me explain how I can get help that is more than me taking to people about issues that are in the past. What would you say to someone like me?

What Kind of Help Is Best for Me?

Answered by on -


Since you are an educator, I hope you are open to some education: Just as there are many ways to teach different learners with different learning styles, there are many ways to help people with “talk therapy”. The success of therapy is largely a function of the “fit” between the client and the therapist’s approach. All talk therapy is not focused on blaming parents or digging into the past.

To address your concerns, I encourage you to find a therapist who works with cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT). Briefly, CBT helps the client identify and change thoughts that are disruptive and that get in the way of positive change. CBT focuses on solutions, not digging for reasons. The therapist will give you support while you challenge thoughts and beliefs so you can change destructive patterns of behavior. Do go on the web and find out more information about CBT. I think you will find it reassuring.

The treatment of choice for many mental health challenges is a combination of medication and talk therapy so I hope you will explore CBT as an option.

I wish you well.
Dr. Marie

What Kind of Help Is Best for Me?

Therapists live, online right now, from BetterHelp:

Dr. Marie Hartwell-Walker

Dr. Marie is licensed as both a psychologist and marriage and family counselor. She specializes in couples and family therapy and parent education. Follow her on Facebook or Twitter.

APA Reference
Hartwell-Walker, D. (2018). What Kind of Help Is Best for Me?. Psych Central. Retrieved on December 1, 2020, from
Scientifically Reviewed
Last updated: 24 Jul 2018 (Originally: 25 Jul 2018)
Last reviewed: By a member of our scientific advisory board on 24 Jul 2018
Published on Psych All rights reserved.