Home » What Is the Best Practice for Psychological Assessment of a Child?

What Is the Best Practice for Psychological Assessment of a Child?

From the U.S.: My child was psychologically assessed through his school, at their behest, with a psychiatrist. The psychiatrist interviewed my son’s teachers and school, his father, but not me. My son’s father is very bitter, has been diagnosed with a personality disorder and took the opportunity to bash me. Many of his allegations are false and the assessment painted me as a horrible, angry alcoholic mother who drank throughout her pregnancy. This is completely NOT true. (I work in the mental health field, as well, and assessment update is one of my jobs, but I don’t do assessments from scratch.)

Since the psychiatrist did NOT interview me, is this considered legitimate? What is the policy for assessing children in regards to interviewing parents and/or caregivers? Does the APA have any professional practices I can read?

Might I have any legal recourse to have this stricken from his record?

Thank you for any help and advice,

(PS: I did contact the school and demanded this assessment be erased from my child’s record due to marring of his name, my name, his potential, and the possible negative effects on our relationship in the future.)

A.

I wish I could help. Since I’m a psychologist, I’m not conversant with the ethical standards for psychiatrists. However, you can look at the standards at this link: https://www.psychiatry.org/psychiatrists/practice/ethics. The site also includes information about how to submit a complaint.

My best advice is that you contact a lawyer for information about your rights as a divorced mom.