Home » Ask the Therapist » How Do I Get the Medication I Need?

How Do I Get the Medication I Need?

From the U.S.: A few years back, I went through the worst 3 plus years of my life. This was all without telling anyone, simply dealing with it – every second of the day. I was hearing voices, thousands times a day I would hear different statements, and I finally could not take it. I broke down, sent to the hospital emergency, and then Baker Acted for 5 days. Removal only if 3 expert psychiatrists, deemed me ready to leave. I was so desperate to get out of this depressing, unhealthy prison setting.

Long story, short…I found a Dr. who I was referred to. I have external neoropathy in my legs and hands, but a sharp mind. After over a 4 year period of different combinations of anxiety/depression medications, I finally found something that was working – for over a year and a half. A combination of 150 mg of Lamictal 2x daily – 10 mg of Hydrocodone for my multiple herniated discs, and FINALLY – 2 mg of Xanax 4 times per day.

Everything seemed stable…until a series of falls and major injuries, from falling directly back on my head, and leaving a 2 foot hole in the wall, friends dying and my life spiraling, I went about 4 days, without Xanax and because of pain only, was taking more pain pills. It was the first time this had happened, I went to get my Xanax to stabilize…and the Dr. Baker Acted me again. I don’t remember much after that, except waking up in a hospital about 3 days later, with a lot of pain. Once released, I went to the same clinic, the best Dr. working with me, was gone…and they have me another person – cold to what my past was, and only using hospital discharge pills given to me.

Getting out, was standard. I went back to the same place for meds. I had a new doctor. She gave me ONLY what the hospital discharge was. WAY less than what had worked. A total shift – after over 4 years of getting it right. Halves of halves, and for this last month, the same anxiety. She was more interested in her, than in me. “This has worked for Years. I’m only going by hospital discharge…not your ” So, with no insurance – any options, without sounding too demanding?

How Do I Get the Medication I Need?

A.

Please don’t be concerned about being “too demanding”. You need to be your own best friend and advocate in this situation. Be polite but do insist on sharing what you know about yourself. It might be helpful if you shared a version of your letter to us with the prescribing doctor.

It might also be helpful for you to get in touch with the local chapter of NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness). Members often meet regularly to provide support for each other and to share information. You might find that people in the local chapter know how to best handle a situation like yours. Go to this website to find your local chapter.

How Do I Get the Medication I Need?