Home » Mom Won’t Listen & I Need Help

Mom Won’t Listen & I Need Help

I have ADD and bipolar two but every time I try to tell my mom to take me to get a screening she says it’s not real. I have taken multiple quizzes on this site to see if I have it and they all say I do. Even my father says that I have add and it runs in his family. It is only getting worse and affects by daily life and has been for years but I can’t get my mother to admit that it is a problem.

Mom Won’t Listen & I Need Help

A.

You might try showing your mother the results of your screenings and quizzes. If that does not work, then go to your school counselor. They can contact your mother and ensure that you receive the proper treatment.

Perhaps she does not know how to help you. Like some parents, she might be hoping that it’s “just a phase,” something you will outgrow. Some people don’t want “strangers” getting involved in their family life and thus won’t participate in therapy. Some other families are very private or are embarrassed by the idea of needing help for mental health problems.

What about your father? He can take you to a therapist. There’s no rule or law that both parents have to be involved in your treatment. It’s better if both parents are involved, but your father can ensure that you get the help that you need.

It’s good that you’re proactive about mental health treatment. I’m impressed with your efforts thus far. Hopefully, with the assistance of your father and or a school official, this problem can be remedied. Good luck to you and your family. Please take care.

Mom Won’t Listen & I Need Help