Home » I Need to Text My Therapist All the Time

I Need to Text My Therapist All the Time

From the U.S.: Why is it so tempting to text my therapist all the time to get help then to talk to a friend? I feel like I am going crazy at time and if I can’t talk to my therapist right away I will just lose it!! I hate that the only way I feel relief is to text the therapist. I feel bad for doing that. I don’t know how to make it through on my own!!! Please help me !!

A.

The person you need to be talking to about this is your therapist. My guess is that you prefer to talk to her over a friend because a therapist is a professional non-judgmental person. That does make sense, but it also is keeping you dependent. One of your goals in therapy is to learn to have mutually supportive relationships. Your therapist can help you with that — but only if you tell her it’s an issue.