Home » Ask the Therapist » I Think I Might Be Having Panic Attacks?

I Think I Might Be Having Panic Attacks?

There’s times when I’ll just be laying down and everything will be okay. And then I’ll just start feeling lightheaded; like I’m not breathing. And that causes me to start panicking and it gets worse as it goes on. I start panicking because I’ll start thinking that I’m dying. And death is a huge fear for me. And I’ll start thinking I HAVE to tell myself when to breathe, how to breathe… It’s scary.

It happened the night before last and I told my mom when it happened, but she basically said I was just overreacting. She told me to calm down.
I want to know why this happens. It hasn’t happened in a while. Maybe a month? But when it does, it takes so long to calm down and I’m scared I’ll pass out next time. It gets worse every time it happens.

A.

Thank you for writing us. Panic attacks can be very scary and they often come about during times of transition, endings and losses of some kind. While very uncomfortable, knowing that a panic attack is about the anxiety coming from the stress of these types of changes can be very helpful. Here are some tips on what to do if it happens again.