Home » Ask the Therapist » Why Can’t I Find Love?

Why Can’t I Find Love?

I’m a 31 years old guy in Europe, and I have an issue that is making my life difficult and challenging.

Till this time I’ve never had a girlfriend before, I don’t understand why and i’m not able to identify the problem on my own, I try my best but i was never seen by any woman as someone lovable or a potential lover. I have never been intimate with a girl before, I’m trying and trying but all my efforts are in vain.

After all those years i’m starting to feel sick, i’m getting very depressed at times and it is causing me to have a very low self-esteem. I believe by now that i’m very ugly and different that no woman would ever want to be with me. I need help but I’m not sure where to seek it and if it is available i can’t afford it.

Why Can’t I Find Love?

A.

I really do believe that there is someone in the world for everyone. That includes you. Look around you. All kinds of people find love. It doesn’t always have to do with looks or personality.

I don’t think you have to try “harder”. I do think you may have to try “differently”. That means getting some feedback about how you are seen by others and getting some guidance about how to change your behavior so you are more successful.

My best suggestion is that you seek out some group therapy. Under the guidance of a mental health professional, group members get direct feedback from each other about their behavior as well as opportunities to try out different ways of relating.

Don’t be so sure that you can’t afford help. Group therapy tends to be less expensive than individual therapy. Contact a mental health center to find out what is available. You may also be able to find a free singles support group in your city.

Why Can’t I Find Love?