Home » Will I Get in Trouble for Seeking Help with an Addiction Since I’m Underage?

Will I Get in Trouble for Seeking Help with an Addiction Since I’m Underage?

I’m addicted to alcohol and its really starting to mess up my life but I’m not sure what to do about. Since I’m 16 I’m worried if I go to someone/somewhere for help that I’ll get in trouble.

If I talk to my therapist about it will I get in trouble? Also is it possible she can help me with this or will I have to go somewhere like Rehab?

A.

The fact you already have a therapist is great news. Counseling is where you can share your addiction and not get into trouble. What you tell your therapist remains confidential. The only time they can break confidentiality is when you pose an imminent threat to yourself or to others. Addictions are obviously destructive, and some gravely so, but they don’t necessarily constitute an imminent threat and thus are not reportable.

Having said that, you shouldn’t keep this a secret. Addictions thrive in secrecy. No one knows and thus no one can help you. That is a recipe for disaster. There a great deal of help and support available if you ask for it. The more support you have, the easier it will be to overcome your addiction. Be honest with your therapist. The therapist will know how to help you. You do not have to do this alone. Let the people who can help you, do their job.

It’s good that you are open to treatment. It significantly increases the likelihood that you will succeed in overcoming your addiction. I wish you the best of luck. Please take care.