Home » Other People Treat Me like I Have Cooties

Other People Treat Me like I Have Cooties

From the U.S.: how do i get family and friends to stop treating me like i have cooties. I have had bi polar for many years if i get angry or have a “normal” emotional reaction they wig out!

A.

Often the reaction you describe is based on anxiety. When people don’t know what to do, they often get upset. In their upset, they may do and say things that are upsetting to others. You are in your 50s. That suggests to me that your family members and friends have known you for a long time. There may be a history of feeling helpless when you are symptomatic. They may be over-sensitive when you get emotional — even when the emotions are normal.

For that reason, it might be helpful for you to suggest that those closest to you get in touch with the local chapter of NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness). NAMI provides free mental education for both patients and their families and friends.