Home » Am I Going Insane?

Am I Going Insane?

From a teen in the U.S.: I’m going through a rough time and hanging out with my friends has made me wonder, am i insane or mentally ill? I act crazy and careless and nothing i can do helps. I try calming down but it doesnt work. Im scared that im going insane, and the stress level in my day-to-day life is making things worse. It kills me to think that I may in fact need medical/psychological help… i dont want to watch my life go down the drain more than it has already….

Am I Going Insane?

A.

Help is intended to be helpful. Getting help doesn’t mean that your life will go down the drain. Quite the opposite. The right help at the right time will give you relief.

I doubt you are going insane. I do think you need some guidance around how to manage rough times. An important task in the teen years is learning the coping skills that are necessary for handling difficult situations and the stress that are an inevitable part of life.

I encourage you to make an appointment with a counselor to review your situation. Your doctor or school counselor may be able to give you the names of counselors who work successfully with teens.

Am I Going Insane?