Home » Anxiety » Is There a Way to Stop My Anxious Outbursts?

Is There a Way to Stop My Anxious Outbursts?

From a teen in Poland: I often have a sudden feeling of excitement. It’s so great that I start to shake, jump, sometimes even laugh even If I had a stressful day, or just a normal day. I tried finding answers what is going on but I nobody ever mentioned shaking or physical things going along with it.

Is there a way I can prevent it from happening or make it less common? I get it at least once a day. Does it have something to do with my mild Anxiety?

A.

It may be that there is a build up of anxious energy that you have discovered you can discharge physically. Although it is effective, I imagine that at times these behaviors are embarrassing.

There are a number of strategies for managing the anxiety:

• Make sure you are getting enough physical activity through running, walks, playing sports, etc.
  • Learn a method of mindfulness meditation. Calming the mind can lower anxiety.
  • Make sure you are getting at least 8 hours of sleep a night.
  • Review what is giving you stress. Think about whether there are ways to handle it directly.

Some combination of these strategies might prevent the anxious behaviors. If you continue to have difficulty, I hope you will see a mental health counselor who can provide you with coaching and support.