Home » Disorders » Depression » Am I Depressed?

Am I Depressed?

From a teen in the U.S.: I’ve been feeling what I believe to be depressed lately. The feeling I get isn’t new or anything just it’s been a reoccurring issue. I have issues with my mother where I find myself feeling unloved and even more depressed. I’ve recently tried opening up but I’m not sure if it was a good choice or not I wonder if the reason I stopped talking was because i didn’t want to continue or because i genuinely felt like a bother.

I’ve been feeling really emotional having very depressive thoughts. Recently I’ve gotten out of class having no one notice just to cry my emotions out which rarely happens I’m not a very emotional person. Sometimes I tend to isolate myself emotionally towards the one person I actually consider to be my closest friend. I’m just wondering If I am depressed or what it is that I’m dealing with.

Am I Depressed?

A.

Thank you so much for writing. I’m sure this is confusing and painful. Unfortunately, I can’t make a diagnosis on the basis of a short letter. But I can tell you that you are most definitely not alone in your feelings. The teen years are emotionally tough for many young people. That doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t get some help.

It may be that you are responding to hormonal shifts that occur at your age. It’s generally a good idea to make an appointment with your doctor to discuss your feelings and whether there is any medical explanation. Do keep a nutrition and sleep diary for a couple weeks to take to that appointment for review.

If everything is okay medically, then it is often helpful to make an appointment with a counselor. Sometimes a few family sessions can open up communication and help kids and their parents have a better relationship. It’s always worth a try.

I wish you well,

Am I Depressed?