Home » My Friend Is Struggling with Social Anxiety

My Friend Is Struggling with Social Anxiety

I have a very close friend and she struggles with social anxiety and introversion. She will sometimes shut off all emotions and completely stop caring about anyone else, not in a selfish way but she just ignores the world and she just accepts her problems and doesn’t try to fix them. It is overall hurting her quality of life and sometimes, our friendship. She said she is willing to try and let me help her, I just want to be there for her. I want to try and help her as best I can but I do not know where to start.

A.

I admire your desire to help your friend and believe the best way of doing this is through helping her to find resources — and supporting her in moving toward getting them.

The best place for her to begin is with our forums. Here she can register and learn what others are doing to help themselves with social anxiety. I’d also encourage her to talk about this with the school’s counselor. He or she is likely to have a number of resources that can help.