Home » Ask the Therapist » How Do I Get Help?

How Do I Get Help?

Asked by on with 1 answer:

From Argentina: Hello. I am 21 and a very anxious person and I can’t move forward in my life. Both my parents are making me feel miserable and depressed, and there is no one in my family who could support me.

I think I need a therapist, but I can’t ask my parents to pay for one, and I’m too nervous to start looking for a job and start supporting myself. I literally have no one to ask for help and I don’t know what to do.

How Do I Get Help?

Answered by on -


Thank you for writing. You made a good start by contacting us here. At 21, it is indeed time for you to figure out how to become more independent. Your parents are not “making” you feel depressed. No one can make anyone else feel the way they do. We all make choices about how we will react to hurtful behavior. It’s your decision whether to take in negativity. You can work on developing a more positive mindset about yourself instead — but you may need some help to do so.

Please look into whether there are any free services available in your city. Often, for example, churches and social service agencies do have counselors who provide free or low-cost services.

Meanwhile, consider joining one of the forums here at PsychCentral. People from all over the world provide support and practical ideas for each other. It’s often helpful to be in touch with people who are struggling with the same issues.

For some immediate relief, also search on the Internet for lessons in mindfulness relaxation. Meditation of some kind will help you start to lower your anxiety.

I do think it’s time for you to find a job. If you wait until you feel like doing it, the chances are you won’t. But if you make a positive move forward by doing some volunteer work or taking a part-time job of any kind, you will start to rebuild your self-esteem. That will also help you manage your anxiety.

I wish you well.
Dr. Marie

How Do I Get Help?

Therapists live, online right now, from BetterHelp:

Dr. Marie Hartwell-Walker

Dr. Marie is licensed as both a psychologist and marriage and family counselor. She specializes in couples and family therapy and parent education. Follow her on Facebook or Twitter.

APA Reference
Hartwell-Walker, D. (2018). How Do I Get Help?. Psych Central. Retrieved on November 28, 2020, from
Scientifically Reviewed
Last updated: 15 May 2018 (Originally: 20 May 2018)
Last reviewed: By a member of our scientific advisory board on 15 May 2018
Published on Psych All rights reserved.