Home » Should I Look for Another Psychiatrist?

Should I Look for Another Psychiatrist?

From a teen in the U.S.: In the past couple months I’ve been diagnosed with Major Depressive Disorder, which I’ve struggled with since 7th grade but a severe episode was triggered by recent suicides in my school. My grandma is also bipolar. My therapist I’ve been seeing for a month now referred me to see a psychiatrist to go on medication, and the psychiatrist appointment seemed to be going normal before finally saying “So I’m confused, what do you have to be depressed about?” He ended up not prescribing medication and said I should consider birth control to control my hormones which could he making me “emotional”.
Is this typical? Or should I see another psychiatrist?

Should I Look for Another Psychiatrist?

A.

I’m sure this was very upsetting. Thank you for writing. Apparently, your therapist has not been communicating with the psychiatrist about why you were referred. I think cooperation between providers is very important for good treatment.

Before seeking out another psychiatrist, I suggest you talk to your therapist about your experience and ask that he or she consult with the psychiatrist about how best to help you. Your therapist will help you decide what to do next.

Should I Look for Another Psychiatrist?