Home » Library » Is This Just a Life Problem?

Is This Just a Life Problem?

From a teen in Egypt: When i was a child i was sexually abused and when my father found out he didnt do anything. i tried to move on and i think i have although i behave in ways that make me wonder if it has affected me. i am left in an infinite circle of questions and now 6 mmonths ago i was diagnosed with a rare type of cancer. i just finished chemo and im getting better but im scared of whats next if my childhood was crap and the time im 18 is cancer how about 21? What will that be like? am i gonna lose a fucking limb or someone i love. i just wanna know how to fix this and the anxiety attacks i get

A: Life is indeed sometimes so unfair. Of course you have anxiety. You have had terrible experiences of being out of control and left on your own to deal with them.

I’m sorry your father didn’t know how to help you. But you are an adult now. You can do for yourself what he failed to do. You can’t be expected to sort out your feelings and questions without help.

I can’t tell you how to “fix it” in a letter. But a counselor can. Please find out how to connect with a qualified counselor with experience in abuse and medical trauma. Your physician or hospital should be able to give you a list of resources. You need and deserve the ongoing support and practical help a counselor can provide.

In the meantime, please consider joining one of the forums here at PsychCentral. Members will help you know for sure that you are not alone. People with similar issues provide each other with both support and suggestions.

Is This Just a Life Problem?

Dr. Marie Hartwell-WalkerDr. Marie is licensed as both a psychologist and marriage and family counselor. She specializes in couples and family therapy and parent education. Follow her on Facebook or Twitter.