Home » Library » Do I Have Superpowers?

Do I Have Superpowers?

From a teen in Germany: I started to believe I have superpowers to cause deaths, which I strongly believe until now. It’s like I can cause while just being in my room something terrible to happen in other corners of the world (earthquakes, heart attacks, shootings) etc. Then I started to believe I can controle electronics across the globe and someone told me that I really turned off their lights in room, then I tried to test it on other people they said that I can’t turn their lights off, however that one person I still I’m confused if they were lying or not and I’m very convinced they are not and that I have superpowers and it causes me a distress knowing that I indeed caused terrible things using these powers. I also can’t go for a walk, I believe people are being hostile and everyone know who I am.

It scares me and exhauses me. Do I really have superpowers? BTW friends told me to ask someone, before them, I wouldn’t even realise that something can be wrong with me, but I’m very, very, very believing I have superpowers.

THIS NOT A JOKE. I tell you, I need advice as fast as possible I scored 168 on sanity test.

A: No. You don’t have superpowers. It’s not at all unusual for someone to wish they had them. But it is highly unusual to believe it. The person who told you that you turned off his lights is messing with you.

I can’t make a diagnosis on the basis of a letter. Beliefs like this can come from an organic problem, a sleep disorder, drug abuse or a mental illness. The only way to find out is to see a qualified mental health counselor who can hear your whole story.

It took courage to write to us. I understand why you emphasized that this is not a joke. You want and deserve to be taken seriously. Please follow through. Take yourself seriously. Make an appointment with a mental health counselor immediately. You deserve the relief it will give you.

Do I Have Superpowers?

Dr. Marie Hartwell-WalkerDr. Marie is licensed as both a psychologist and marriage and family counselor. She specializes in couples and family therapy and parent education. Follow her on Facebook or Twitter.